Sunday 25 November 2007

Getting started

Today is Sunday, 25 November and I am sitting at my computer in Galgate, a small village to the south of Lancaster. My name is Martin Eayrs, and since my father’s death in August 2001 I have become increasingly interested in the history of my family.

I am not in any way a Lancastrian – I simply happen to be working at Lancaster University. My family roots, to my current knowledge at least, lie in Northants and southern Lincolnshire.

This week I have been accepted by the Guild of One-Name Studies as ‘custodian’ of the Eayrs* family name worldwide. My membership number is 4821. My intention is to collate information about Eayrs family members wherever and whenever I come across them. I will share whatever information I have at any time, except insofar it relates to data that comes under the terms of the (UK) Data Protection Act 1998.

So I have started this blog, which joins other ventures of mine: an Eayrs Family website, an Eayrs family group on Facebook, and an Eayrs family electronic discussion group. All are different, and all are open to all.

Eayrs often seems a hard name to spell and folks were not so literate a few hundred years ago, so the Eayrs family name has a number of variants: ‘Hairs’, ‘Hare’, ‘Eyre’. ‘Eyres’, ‘Eayers’, … well you get the idea. As long as we can prove the connection, we welcome them in.

At the time of this first post I have no idea how this blog will develop. Time will tell, and I hope that others will join me here from time to time. Faults and errors in my posts are mine and comments and corrections will be welcomed, publicly or privately.


Martin Eayrs

No comments: